President Trump declared the US would be imposing “additional punishing sanctions” on Iran but made no mention of possible retaliation to Tuesday’s missile attacks, seen by experts as a measured first response by Iran.
The US president acknowledged Iran “appears to be standing down.”
The much-awaited address — which began almost half an hour after its scheduled time — initiated with Trump saying, “As long as I am president, Iran will not be allowed to hold nuclear weapons.”
Trump was flanked by US Vice President Mark Pence — US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo — as well as numerous military officials.
He said there were no American losses in the Iranian strikes on military bases housing US troops in Iraq.
“No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian command. We grieved no casualties,” Trump said. “Our great American forces are equipped for anything.”
Iraq’s military said — 22 missiles were launched on the Ain al-Asad air base in western Anbar province and a base in the Iraqi Kurdish capital Erbil — causing no casualties among Iraqi forces.
Following the violence — alarm and concern was sounded by the international community, urging both sides to de-escalate.
President Trump had publicized he would make a statement this morning – as an assessment of casualties and harm was underway.
“All is well!” Trump said in the Twitter post. “So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!”